[GRASSLIST:4645] Re: Compiling Grass

Miha Staut mihastaut at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 26 11:39:44 EDT 2004

 --- David Bannon <D.Bannon at vpac.org> wrote:

> Hi Folks, hope someone can point be in the right
> direction. Trying to
> compile version 5.7 on a system that does not have
> any of the GIS things you
> people usually have lying around. So I'm missing
> things that the developers
> probably don't think about ...
>
> Any way, my experiences, firstly seems lots of
> configure things are turned
> on by default and if not wanted need to be turned
> off despite what configure
> --help indicates. This list includes gdal, postgres,
> odbc.
>
> Anyway, turn them off and then find we need PROJ.4,
> is that mentioned
> anywhere ? OK, get and compile that and tell grass
> config about it

"--with-proj-includes=/common/src/brecca/proj-4.4.8/src/"

> So now configure works, but make does not. Seems
> when we get to building
> lib/proj it does not know about that path set in
> configure. Spent several
> happy hours trying to follow the make file's
> includes. Gave up and (sorry,
> really nasty hack) redefined CC as being "gcc
> -I${EXTRA_INC}", yeah, really
> nasty but easier than following those includes! Now
> the compile proceeds
> until it needs ogr_api.h down in db/drivers/org, but
> OGR is supposed to be
> turned off!
>
> Google finds people associating this problem with
> gdal, OK, I get and
> compile gdal. Now, to compile gdal with grass
> support it needs to be told
> where grass is installed. But to install (or make)
> grass I need the
> gdal-config file, presumably built when making gdal!
>  I'm going around in
> circles!!
>
> Here is how I configure grass :
> ./configure --with-proj-libs=/usr/local01/lib \
> 	--prefix=/usr/local01 \

--with-proj-includes=/common/src/brecca/proj-4.4.8/src/
> \
> 	--with-gdal=/common/src/brecca/gdal-1.2.3 \
> 	--without-postgres --without-odbc
>
> And this is what it spits out at the end :
> ..
> checking for gdal-config... no
> configure: error: *** couldn't find gdal-config
>
> And, no there is no gdal-config there.
>
> So, is the source for 5.7 buildable or have I
> grabbed the wrong tree ?
> Should a newbee like me be trying to build some
> other version ?
>
> Hey, if you are still here, thanks for at least
> reading this long story !
>
> David

David,

Here is my experience in compiling first experimental
cvs of GRASS 5.3 and then GRASS 5.7. You first need
GRASS 5.3 installed to compile GRASS 5.7.

First I compile the libraries needed for GRASS 5.3 to
have all the additional stuff I want. That are:

- fftw (you need the version 2 and not 3)
(./configure, make, make install)

- gdal (You should get the latest version 1.2.3 if I
am not wrong. You do not need to compile gdal with
grass)

- proj (there are rpms of proj in the PostGIS site.
Try to find 4.4.8

- PostgreSQL (Many distros have it included, but the
src.rpm is not difficult to compile.)

- motif, blas and lapack are also included in my linux
distribution

Gdal, proj and PostgreSQL are strongly recommended.
See also if you have tcltk on your machine. There is a
nice GUI included with the source.

Find and download Markus's conf_grass50_linux.sh shell
script. It will help you to clear things up. You
should edit it the way to suit your needs.

After that make and make install should go without
problems.

GRASS 5.7 is a new version with stronger vector
database support. To compile that follow the
instructions of the INSTALL file in the main source
directory. But you MUST have GRASS 5.3 installed
first. The configure step is very similar to gras5.3
configure, but be attentive to the CFLAGS="-g -Wall"
and --with-grass50.

You did not tell us what OS you are running. There are
also precompiled versions of GRASS.

Miha