[GRASSLIST:4650] vector database stuff and gshhs

Ian MacMillan ian_macmillan at umail.ucsb.edu
Tue Oct 26 21:37:10 EDT 2004

Hi all, so I have changed tactics and tried to import the gshhs data
into 5.7 a different way (since 24 hours of v.convert only put me at 6%
finished for a ~180 MB file).  I first tried to export it from 5.3 as
an ascii file.  I could import the file into 5.7 with v.in.ascii (and
display it), however I don't understand how to get the attributes from
the old dig_cats file to connect with the imported file.  I know this
is all part of the new database management of vectors in 5.7, but after
reading everything I could on the help pages, I think I am more
confused.  I don't really know anything about dbf files, ODBC, SQL, or
other database formats.  Do I need to learn how to use a database
program to use vectors in GRASS?  Isn't there a simple way to convert a
dig_cats file into a .dbf file and connect that to my vector file?

Thanks,

-Ian

PS mac os 10.3, grass 5.7 from ~may, 2004