[GRASSLIST:4661] Re: Compiling Grass

David Bannon D.Bannon at vpac.org
Thu Oct 28 09:19:53 EDT 2004

Stuff about 5.7 not compiling deleted.

Hi Miha, thanks for your suggestions. I grabbed the source for 5.3 and, as
you suggested, it compiles OK (except for src/raster/r.mapcalc3) as long as
I turn off gdal. If I turn on gdal it also balks at the lack of gdal-config,
just where is this file supposed to come from ?

Anyway, I installed the now compiled 5.3 and then tried gdal. It still
cannot find the grass libraries, I'm telling it where its been installed,
trying :

--with-grass=/usr/local01/grass53
--with-grass=/usr/local01/grass5.3.0
--with-grass=/usr/local01/grass53/lib

And getting errors like this

checking for G_asprintf in -lgrass_gis... no
configure: error: --with-grass=/usr/local01/grass53 requested, but libraries
not found!

So I have two problems :

1. I don't have a gdal-config, don't know what it should contain, cannot get
one.

2. I cannot get gdal to recognise the grass5.3 install, particularly
libgrass_gris (because its not there!)

Have to say that I don't see why I need 5.3 before installing 5.7, perhaps
that's the bit I'm missing. Are you doing something with the 5.3 install
that affects the 5.7 ?

I'm wondering if the problem is happening because we are installing into
/usr/local01/ rather than /usr/local. We need to do that because it's a
pretty large cluster, don't have a lot of flexability about how we install
things.

Your suggestions :

Fftw - yep, we have 2.1.3
Gdal - like I said, it will not compile with grass support, demanding to see
libgrass_gis. 5.3 does not make or install one.
Proj - got that compiled and installed.
Motif, blas and lapack - are installed.
Postgres - we don't plan to use postgres

Don't want to use rpms because want to find whats missing at this stage.

The system is part of a 200 CPU cluster running RH7.3, reasonably well
updated and the 2.4.26 kernel.

David