[GRASSLIST:4663] Re: Compiling Grass

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu Oct 28 09:40:47 EDT 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, David Bannon wrote:

> Stuff about 5.7 not compiling deleted.
>
> Hi Miha, thanks for your suggestions. I grabbed the source for 5.3 and, as
> you suggested, it compiles OK (except for src/raster/r.mapcalc3) as long as

r.mapcalc is quite important; post the errors you are getting to the
developers' mailing list if  you need help getting it working.

> I turn off gdal. If I turn on gdal it also balks at the lack of gdal-config,
> just where is this file supposed to come from ?

It should come with GDAL when you install it. Have you installed GDAL
properly?

> Anyway, I installed the now compiled 5.3 and then tried gdal. It still
> cannot find the grass libraries, I'm telling it where its been installed,
> trying :

You don't need GRASS support in GDAL. That is only if you want GDAL to be
able to read GRASS databases for some third party application. Anyway the
problem you have is that libgrass does not come with GRASS and is
separate. But you don't need it. Just don't use --with-grass

> checking for G_asprintf in -lgrass_gis... no

Ah I see you are using the new direct GRASS support in GDAL, not libgrass.
But you need GRASS 5.7 for that. But again, you don't need GRASS support
in GDAL to use GDAL with GRASS. GRASS can read it's own format. You need
GDAL to read other formats.

> Have to say that I don't see why I need 5.3 before installing 5.7, perhaps
> that's the bit I'm missing. Are you doing something with the 5.3 install
> that affects the 5.7 ?

You don't need to compile or install 5.3 to use 5.7. You just need the
source code. The 5.7 CVS doesn't contain the source code for those modules
that haven't changed between 5.3 and 5.7.

> I'm wondering if the problem is happening because we are installing into
> /usr/local01/ rather than /usr/local. We need to do that because it's a
> pretty large cluster, don't have a lot of flexability about how we install
> things.

No that should be no problem.

> Motif, blas and lapack - are installed.

You only need motif for xganim and blas and lapack for s.surf.krig which
is not compiled by default (i.e. you don't need them).

Hope this points you in the right direction

Paul K