[GRASSLIST:4669] GRASS, GDAL and libgrass

Dylan Beaudette dylan at iici.no-ip.org
Thu Oct 28 14:47:22 EDT 2004

Greetings,

I would like to thank Hamish and Glynn for the helpful suggestions on getting
libgrass compiled.

However, it now seems that either I don't fully understand how GRASS and GDAL
operate together (which is probably the case), or else there is some trickery
that I am not aware of to get a working r.in.gdal and r.out.gdal...

based on some tests it seems that:
1. a working r.in.gdal can be obtained by compiling GDAL without libgrass (i.e
compilation of r.in.gdal breaks when GDAL is compiled with libgrass)

2. a functional replacement for r.out.gdal can be accomplished by re-compiling
GDAL with libgrass after a GRASS itself has been compiled, and then using the
libgrass-enabled gral_translate to convert between GRASS rasters and other
formats.

3. re-compilation of GRASS from source requires that GDAL be re-compiled
without libgrass, in order for a working r.in.gdal....ect - highly annoying
to say the least.

It would be ideal to have a working r.in.gdal / r.out.gdal without all of the
above ... Am I just going about all of this in the wrong way?
This is on a Debian Sarge machine, with GRASS CVS snapshot 10_23

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

--
Dylan Beaudette
Soil Science Graduate Group