[GRASSLIST:4685] Re: Compiling Grass

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 29 03:45:57 EDT 2004

> > You don't need to compile or install 5.3 to use 5.7. You just
> > need the source code. The 5.7 CVS doesn't contain the source code
> > for those modules that haven't changed between 5.3 and 5.7.
>
> Right ! Now, does that mean that I should untar the source into the
> same directory ? And in what order, first 5.3 and the overwrite with
> 5.7 ??

If nothing yet exists:

put 5.3-cvs in /usr/src/grass53
put 5.7-cvs in /usr/src/grass57
  Both must be from CVS the same day.

then:
./configure --with-grass50=/usr/src/grass53 [--other-switches ...]
make mix
make
make install

or something like that.

the 'make mix' step links in the file which have not changed between 5.3
and 5.7 (mostly raster support)

Note if you have already built an earlier version you need to clean out
house before updating the CVS, etc., read the 5.7 INSTALL file for details.

> (Note, I'm not using the cvs of 5.7, it's the 'release' from the web
> site.

5.7.0 you don't need 5.3
5.7-weekly snapshot you do

Hamish