[GRASSLIST:4321] GRASS PgSQL structure

Martin Wegmann wegmann at biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de
Wed Sep 8 09:15:55 EDT 2004

Hello,

I have just made my first steps  in the world of GRASS and postgres and would
like to get some advice on how to structure my GRASS Postgres before I go on.

I have ca. 100 locations in GRASS (areas)  and a spreadsheet with the
corresponding location names and ca. 500 species:

			sp.A  sp.B  sp.C ..... total
locations1       0         1        0             1
locations2        1        1        1             3

additionally to this biotic data I will have a table of abiotic data e.g.
elevation for each location (GRASS query).

What is the best way for linking these datasets?
- Either merging them inside GRASS and putting all datasets in one table
(vector) -- adding the species data by hand
- or doing db.copy/connect of the GRASS vector + import the spreadsheet of
species-locations into pgsql - leaving the datasets separate and linking them
to each other?

thanks, Martin