[GRASSLIST:6398] problems while porting from grass54 to grass60

janabhaaratii at ncst.ernet.in janabhaaratii at ncst.ernet.in
Mon Apr 11 08:56:01 EDT 2005

To GRASSLIST:
Hi list,
   I am member of janabhaaratii project (www.janabhaaratii.org.in) which
is a govt funded localization project for development, deployment and
community building for free/open source softwares in Indian Languages
   We have been using grass v5.4 for quiet some time. We have some maps
connected to mysql database using ODBC and also some shell scripts which
connect to database and also generate some queries using commands like
d.what.vect
   Now I am trying to port these scripts along with maps and database
into grass-6.0.0

 We are facing following problems:
   - using data directory of grass54 in grass60 DOESN'T work. No map from
grass54 is accessible in grass60
 - many of the commands in grass54 (eg. d.vect.area, d.what.v.pg etc.)
are not available in grass60. Please note that I have compiled grass60 with
ALL dependencies satisfied.
 - syntax of some commands have changed (e.g. d.vect, d.what.vect etc.)
 - when I tried to use db.login and db.connect to connect to Mysql
database using odbc as driver, db.connect fails saying that it cannot connect
to use ''@'localhost' which means it is unable to access use and password
information written by db.login in ~/.grasslogin6

 Because of these problems, our efforts of using GRASS GIS as an
alternative to expensive GIS softwares particularly in government offices have
slowed down a bit.
 We are also actively working on localizing GRASS in Indian Languages
which requires complex text layout handling. As GRASS doesn't support OpenType
font rendering as of now (please correct me if I am wrong), we are trying to
work with doublebyte truetype font which doesn't need a special rendering
engine. here also we are facing problems as we couldnot set menu font to our
own truetype font.

I hope people here will help me overcome the problems. I don't have slightest
doubt in mind about utility of GRASS as excellent & powerful GIS analysis
tool. It is just that I have to learn a bit to use its powerful features.

Waiting for reply.
Regards,
Swapnil Hajare
janabhaaratii team