[GRASSLIST:6527] Re: problem importing vector

Lorenzo Moretti lorenzo.moretti at bologna.enea.it
Mon Apr 18 11:56:31 EDT 2005

Hi Brian

>Hello,
>
>I'm new to GRASS (and to GIS).  I'm having trouble importing a
>vector file (using v.in.ogr) of the Everglades coastline in Florida,
>USA. The coastline is very irregular with many small islands.  My
>machine has been working for three days, appears to be making
>progress (e.g., the line number at the bottom of the output shown
>below keeps increasing), albeit slowly.  I estimate that it will
>take about a week to complete this import.  I'm using Grass 6.0 on
>Mac OSX and the output is displayed below.  My specific questions
>are:
>
>1.  Should I wait a week for this to complete, e.g., is it likely to
>successfully complete this import, or is the long time required
>indicative of a problem?
>
>2.  Is there a faster way of accomplishing this import?
>
>Thanks for your help,
>Brian
>
>>v.in.ogr dsn=/Users/PROJECTS/ENP/Plot_Info/GIS/PaulsCD/k24bound.shp
>>output=k24bound
>A datum name nad27 (North_American_Datum_1927) was specified without
>transformation parameters.
>WARNING: Non-interactive mode: the GRASS default for nad27 is
>          towgs84=-22.000,157.000,176.000.
>Projection of input dataset and current location appear to match.
>Proceeding with import...
>Layer: k24bound
>Building topology ...
>18233 primitives registered
>Building areas:  100%
>18233 areas built
>18233 isles built
>Attaching islands:  100%
>Attaching centroids:  100%
>Topology was built.
>Number of nodes     :   18233
>Number of primitives:   18233
>Number of points    :   0
>Number of lines     :   0
>Number of boundaries:   18233
>Number of centroids :   0
>Number of areas     :   18233
>Number of isles     :   18233
>Number of areas without centroid :   18233
>WARNING: Cleaning polygons, result is not guaranteed!
>Building topology ...
>Topology was built.
>Number of nodes     :   18233
>Number of primitives:   18233
>Number of points    :   0
>Number of lines     :   0
>Number of boundaries:   18233
>Number of centroids :   0
>Number of areas     :   -
>Number of isles     :   -
>Break polygons:
>Registering points ... 745775
>All points (vertices): 764031
>Registered points (unique coordinates): 745775
>Points marked for break: 18254
>Breaks:    65
>Remove duplicates:
>Duplicates:     0
>Break boundaries:
>Intersections: 297999 (line 89173)

This is an old problem from grass 5.7. Grass with some shape files
(only some) goes to infinite loop in Mac OS X only.
This is a bug unresolved: send a new report in the bug list at
http://grass.itc.it/bugtracking/bugreport.html with the description.

Try this method: open this shape in Jump (you see the link in my site
below), check the draw and the data and resave this shape file with a
new name. Inside Jump there is a my doc to export shape file from
Jump. Now import this new shape file inside Grass and check. Sometime
it works.

Remember: in OS X the time to import a big shape files depends from
MHz but it's fast. Your problem is a bug in Grass with some shape
files and if you see all this time you Stop the Process of v.in.ogr
from Process Viewer (in Utility).

Bye
||      Lorenzo Moretti        e-mail: lorenzo.moretti at bologna.enea.it
||/|/|  ENEA prot/idr          Web: http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/
||   |  via Don Fiammelli, 2   FTP: ftp://ftpamb.bologna.enea.it/ (res.)
~~~~~~  40128 BOLOGNA - ITALY  Ph: +39-0516098086  Fax: +39-0516098131
			Download GRASS for MAC OS X:
	           http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/forgrass/