[GRASSLIST:6681] Re: libgrass as TGZ package

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Apr 29 09:13:03 EDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 02:45:21PM +0200, Roger Bivand wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 04:58:43PM +0200, Rado Bonk wrote:
> > But the recommended method is to use the GDAL/GRASS
> > plugin. Compilation order:
> >
> > - GDAL without GRASS support (you may have to actively disable
> >   it using the appropriate configure switches)
> > - GRASS 6
> > - GDAL/GRASS plugin
> >
> > Configure scripts can be grabbed here:
> >  http://mpa.itc.it/markus/useful/index.html
> >
> >  ->  conf_gdal.sh
> >  ->  conf_grass61_linux.sh
> >  ->  conf_install_gdal_grass_plugin.sh
>
> Well, after having done this, and:
>
> $ ls -l /usr/local/lib/gdalplugins
> total 36
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        34606 Apr 29 14:32 gdal_GRASS.so
>
> (the script presupposes that the user running it has access to
> gdalplugins)

Well, the plugin has to be installed along with GDAL. So
probably root permissions are needed.

> I still can't see any access:
>
> $ gdalinfo ~/topics/grassdata/spearfish60/PERMANENT/cellhd/geology
> ERROR 4: `/home/rsb/topics/grassdata/spearfish60/PERMANENT/cellhd/geology'
> not recognised as a supported file format.

OK - a couple of tests:

- which GDAL version are you using? The search patch changed.
  If you have an "older" GDAL, try to move the plugin to
  /usr/local/lib/ (where libgdal.so stays)

- if this works, congrats (keep in mind that /usr/[local/]lib/gdalplugins
  is the new home

- if this doesn't work, move the gdal_GRASS.so back to
  /usr/local/lib/gdalplugins/

- then
  ldd /usr/local/lib/gdalplugins/gdal_GRASS.so  | grep grass

  Does it find the GRASS libraries? If not,
   - either add their path to /etc/ld.so.conf
   - or link the GRASS libs into /usr/local/lib (this is what I do)
     Positive side-effect: also QGIS is happy

Hope this helps

 Markus