[GRASSLIST:6682] Re: libgrass as TGZ package

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Apr 29 12:31:20 EDT 2005

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 02:45:21PM +0200, Roger Bivand wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > > On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 04:58:43PM +0200, Rado Bonk wrote:
> > > But the recommended method is to use the GDAL/GRASS
> > > plugin. Compilation order:
> > >
> > > - GDAL without GRASS support (you may have to actively disable
> > >   it using the appropriate configure switches)
> > > - GRASS 6
> > > - GDAL/GRASS plugin
> > >
> > > Configure scripts can be grabbed here:
> > >  http://mpa.itc.it/markus/useful/index.html
> > >
> > >  ->  conf_gdal.sh
> > >  ->  conf_grass61_linux.sh
> > >  ->  conf_install_gdal_grass_plugin.sh
> >
> > Well, after having done this, and:
> >
> > $ ls -l /usr/local/lib/gdalplugins
> > total 36
> > -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        34606 Apr 29 14:32 gdal_GRASS.so
> >
> > (the script presupposes that the user running it has access to
> > gdalplugins)
>
> Well, the plugin has to be installed along with GDAL. So
> probably root permissions are needed.

Yes, but then two scripts would be needed, one for ./configure and make,
one for make install ...

> > I still can't see any access:
> >
> > $ gdalinfo ~/topics/grassdata/spearfish60/PERMANENT/cellhd/geology
> > ERROR 4: `/home/rsb/topics/grassdata/spearfish60/PERMANENT/cellhd/geology'
> > not recognised as a supported file format.
>
> OK - a couple of tests:
>
> - which GDAL version are you using? The search patch changed.
>   If you have an "older" GDAL, try to move the plugin to
>   /usr/local/lib/ (where libgdal.so stays)

1.2.6 from the tarball compiled 29 April, is this "older"?

> - if this works, congrats (keep in mind that /usr/[local/]lib/gdalplugins
>   is the new home

It doesn't work.

> - if this doesn't work, move the gdal_GRASS.so back to
>   /usr/local/lib/gdalplugins/
>
> - then
>   ldd /usr/local/lib/gdalplugins/gdal_GRASS.so  | grep grass
>
>   Does it find the GRASS libraries? If not,

No, it didn't find them.

>    - either add their path to /etc/ld.so.conf
>    - or link the GRASS libs into /usr/local/lib (this is what I do)

I did this, ldd reports that they are present (after an ldconfig), but
gdalinfo still doesn't recognise the file in cellhd (neither inside nor
outside GRASS).

Do I need to re-install GDAL after having configured, built and installed
the plugin (I think not)?

I'm keeping on about this because if this is this difficult to configure
for me, then the chances of any R/GRASS interface for GRASS 6 get very
slim - there are so many hoops to jump though even on Unix/Linux (not to
mention cygwin?) that no-one will ever use it.

There do not seem to have been any downloads of the draft package from
sourceforge http://sourceforge.net/projects/r-spatial/ so far, so I've no
idea of whether any of this is actually required. GDAL and OGR provide
ways to prototype the interface cleanly. But then GDAL has to work both
ways, otherwise I can just stay with Arc ASCII grid files.

What will help is a fool-proof installation route for getting r.out.gdal
to work like v.out.ogr does - I've no idea how the GDAL programs are
supposed to find the plugin (I can understand that they know about formats
they were compiled with, but how should a plugin be regisered in GDAL if
is is built after GDAL itself?).

Trying,

Roger

--