[GRASSLIST:7755] Hutchinson's Adaptive Alogrithm for sound DEMs?

paallen at attglobal.net paallen at attglobal.net
Mon Aug 1 16:06:21 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I am trying to create a DEM from Topographic
contours.  I have been using regularized spline
with tension (v.surf.rst) and I am just not
content with the quality.  My final objective is
to produce watersheds for sample locations using
"r.water.outlet".  So I am looking for
alternatives and as aways preferabley something in
GRASS or at least GNU.

I was wondering if M.F. Hutchinson's alogrithm for
generating DEMs from his paper on the net "A
Locally Adaptive Approach to the Interprolation of
Digital Elevation Models"
(http://www1.gsi.go.jp/geowww/globalmap-gsi/gtopo30/papers/local.html)
has been written for GRASS or any other GNU program?.

It appears to be the algorithm that the CGIAR used
to re-grid the SRTM 90m DEM.

Thanks,

Phillip J. Allen
Consulting Geochemist