[GRASSLIST:7782] Re: NVIZ and 3d vectors

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Aug 4 04:05:16 EDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 09:22:09PM -0400, Jean-Denis Giguere wrote:
> Hi all !
>
> If you go on the GRASS 6 homepage
> (http://grass.itc.it/grass60/index.php), you will find very interesting
> snapshots that represent 3d views of a digital elevation model plus 3D
> vectors (see http://grass.itc.it/images/grass51trees.jpg and
> http://grass.itc.it/images/grass51_nviz.jpg)
>
> I can't find any documentation about how to import and/or create such 3D
> vectors and vizualize them into nviz. I would really appreciate if
> someone could point me a tutorial or a draft procedure to create this
> kind of image.

The towers and houses were lovingly handcrafted using vim (by Radim).
The trees were done with a tree algorithm. Both generated as 3D ASCII
files, then imported with v.in.ascii.

It would be cool to have a program which takes 2D polygons and an
attribute column to generate 3D boxes (approximation of houses).

Markus