[GRASSLIST:7794] Re: NVIZ and 3d vectors

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Aug 5 01:49:08 EDT 2005

There are some folks here at ASU who are interested in doing this kind of 3D
generation.

It would help, I think if we could at least see what the ascii files are
like that generated the tower and houses, and the tree algorithm (if
different from Jachym's perl script in the WIKI).

Thanks
Michael

On 8/4/05 1:05 AM, "Markus Neteler" <neteler at itc.it> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 09:22:09PM -0400, Jean-Denis Giguere wrote:
>> Hi all !
>>
>> If you go on the GRASS 6 homepage
>> (http://grass.itc.it/grass60/index.php), you will find very interesting
>> snapshots that represent 3d views of a digital elevation model plus 3D
>> vectors (see http://grass.itc.it/images/grass51trees.jpg and
>> http://grass.itc.it/images/grass51_nviz.jpg)
>>
>> I can't find any documentation about how to import and/or create such 3D
>> vectors and vizualize them into nviz. I would really appreciate if
>> someone could point me a tutorial or a draft procedure to create this
>> kind of image.
>
> The towers and houses were lovingly handcrafted using vim (by Radim).
> The trees were done with a tree algorithm. Both generated as 3D ASCII
> files, then imported with v.in.ascii.
>
> It would be cool to have a program which takes 2D polygons and an
> attribute column to generate 3D boxes (approximation of houses).
>

> Markus

PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402