[GRASSLIST:7810] Synergy between Grass/Python/GMT revisited

Dylan Beaudette dylan at iici.no-ip.org
Sun Aug 7 14:18:07 EDT 2005

Greetings,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to everyone who has posted
messages regarding this topic.

If everyone is still interested, I would like to chat some more about
integrating GRASS and GMT via Python. I looked over David's r.out.gmt
script (nice job!) and liked the approach much more than my bash
scripts.

Making hard copy maps is such an important part of any research project
that deals with the spatial arrangement of object -- and yet there are
not many ways of doing it efficiently with open source software. GMT
provides a means to get the heavy lifting done, however the creation of
complex maps  from multiple sources can be a bear. In addition, getting
data from GRASS into GMT can be somewhat of a headache, especially
vector data.

I propose that in order to get this done, a group of interested
individuals should spend some time working out a logical framework, and
implementing it. Some previously raised questions should also be
addressed:

1. monolithic or modular?
2. GRASS commands or via GDAL ?
3. how does QGIS fit in to this?

personally i have mixed feelings about trying to cram this all into
GDAL, rather the export of data i.e. :
r.out.gmt
v.out.gmt

might best be handled by GDAL , while GRASS specific things such as
region, color palette, etc. :

g.out.colortable
g.out.region
g.out.gmt

I can provide a place to post this discussion, and any progress via our
lab's content management system.

Cheers,

--
Dylan Beaudette