[GRASSLIST:7817] Re: how to install GRASS6.0 keeping GRASS5.3 intact in the same system

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Aug 8 12:02:51 EDT 2005

Nagesh Bhatkar wrote:

> I am currently using GRASS5.3 . Since I wanted to switch over to GRASS6.0,
> i removed  GRASS5.3 from my system.
> And then installed GRASS6.0
> Using
>
> ./configure --prefix=$GRASS_INS --bindir=$GRASS_BIN
> --with-postgres-includes=/usr/include/pgsql  --without-odbc --without-fft
> make
> make install
> GRASS6.0 works fine.
>
> When i wanted to revert back to installing  GRASS5.3 some of the modules
> are left uncompiled.
> Later i realised that the libz.a gets overwritten when i Install GRASS6.0.

Huh? GRASS doesn't include anything called libz.a, so I have no idea
how you ended up overwriting it.

> So then i had to download and reinstall the libz.a . After doing that i
> could install GRASS5.3 completely.
>
> I want to Install GRASS6.0  but keeping GRASS5.3  intact , may be in two
> different directories
> with no overlap of libraries.

You shouldn't need to do anything special to install both versions.
Each version will go into its own directory; the only file which is
installed outside of the GRASS directory is the startup script, which
includes the version number in the name (e.g. grass53 or grass61).