[GRASSLIST:7898] Re: Hutchinson's Adaptive Alogrithm for sound DEMs?

Brent Wood b.wood at niwa.co.nz
Mon Aug 15 00:42:32 EDT 2005

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, Dylan Beaudette wrote:

> Maciek and other GRASS users,
>
> These are great points to consider. My work leads me into the realm of
> terrain analysis, so this topic is near and dear to me. I think that it
> would be great if the pooled efforts of the GRASS community could be
> used to make GRASS the premier DEM creation / modification environment.
> Since the quality of a DEM is of the utmost importance when calculating
> primary and secondary terrain parameters, documentation of and
> confidence in the algorithms used for DEM creation should be a
> priority.

>From my self-centered user perspective this is all a great idea :-)

(Even though lakes & rivers for breaklines do not really happen on the seabed
where I do most of my modelling :-)

I'd like to make more use of GRASS for this, but have found it slow &
cumbersome to the point of being unuseable when compared with GMT for
generating DEM's from point data (say 20 million points).

If anyone has any ideas on how to address this & tweak performance I'd be
grateful, or if there is any specific info I can provide to help in this
area?

A sort of "howto create a Spearfish-like DEM from raw point data" ??

Thanks

  Brent