[GRASSLIST:8044]

Dave Kindem dkindem at chartermi.net
Wed Aug 24 09:48:34 EDT 2005

I tested an omerc file last night also.  Here's the info on my mine:

PROJ_INFO
name: Oblique Mercator
datum: nad83
towgs84: 0.000,0.000,0.000
proj: omerc
ellps: grs80
a: 6378137.0000000000
es: 0.0066943800
f: 298.2572221010
lat_0: 45.3091666667
lonc: -86.0000000000
alpha: 337.25556
k_0: 0.9996000000
rot_conv: defined

I was able to import and display a shape file, but when I try to re-
project the vector information into another location, I get the
following error:

v.proj input=ottawa location=OttawaOMERC output=county
Unable to initialise PROJ.4 with the following parameter list:
+proj=omerc +lat_0=45.3091666667 +lonc=-86.0000000000
+k_0=0.9996000000 +rot_conv +a=6378137 +rf=298.257222101 +no_defs
+towgs84=0.000,0.000,0.000
The error message was 'lat_1=lat_2 or lat_1=0 or lat_2=90'

As you noticed, the alpha value is missing.  I'm also curious about
the f= value, which is evidently derived, since I did not enter it.

It also seems that the displayed image is basically an x-y plot, with
no connection to a particular location.  Running d.where will return
the northing and easting of any location on the image, but the
program returns errors when asked for the lat/long location.  In
order to make the connection, wouldn't GRASS need to use the  false
northing/easting (or perhaps the lat/long location of the point of
origin) information supplied in the documentation?

Thanks for your help sorting through this.

Dave