[GRASSLIST:8109] Re:Re:postgresql connection failes

Michele michele.rocc at libero.it
Mon Aug 29 04:37:03 EDT 2005

> Michele wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >You can recompile GRASS with the new path to postgresql specified in the "./configure" step:

> >>hello
> >>
> >>after installation grass with posgresql support,
> >>I reinstalled postgresql from source in different location.
> >>Consequently, grass can not link to postgresql which I had
> >>been able to connect to.
> >>How can I ensure that grass can connect to postrgresql ?
> >>

> >>regards
> >>
> >>Ahmet Temiz

> thank you
>
> but although I recompiled grass with new path of postgresql, it gives

>     Is the server running locally and accepting
>     connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>
> What should be done else ?

If you reinstall postgres from source you have to manually rebuild the database directory, user, etc..
You have to follow carefully this instructions:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/creating-cluster.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/postmaster-start.html

you will also have to create a new database user and remember to use the database administrator user (eg postgres)

postgres$ initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
^^^^^^^^

to do administration task like starting and stopping the postmaster.

Michele.