[GRASSLIST:9322] Re: Best hardware for running GRASS?

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 00:04:19 EST 2005

For the most part GIS is IO-bound. So, you get the most bang for the
buck by going with lots of ram and fast disks. CPU is less important
(except for 3-D in which case a nice video card is a must).

I've got a brand new AMD64 2800 with 2 gb ram (running in 32-bit mode)
and an old Pentium IV (?) 1800 Mhz with 1.5 gb ram. I didn't notice
much of a speed increase going to the AMD chip in GRASS. Though I
haven't tried compiling grass in 64-bit yet. Maybe that would have
some impact?

David

--
David Finlayson
Marine Geology & Geophysics

Office: Marine Sciences Building, Room 112
Phone: (206) 616-9407
Web: http://students.washington.edu/dfinlays