[GRASSLIST:9325] Re: Best hardware for running GRASS?

Jaime Carrera jaicarrerahdez at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 6 03:27:51 EST 2005

Hi Kenneth,

  I am running GRASS on two boxes: One has an AMD-64 2800 processor with  2GB of RAM and a HD of 160 GB; the other one is a laptop with a P-4 @  1.7 with 560 MB of RAM. I did compile GRASS on 64 bit mode as well as  other GRASS related software (e.g. R, PostgreSQL, etc) and I've noticed  a big difference when analyzing data. I assume you're considering  building your own which I also think is the best way to go.

  HTH,

  Jaime

Kenneth Cabrera <krcabrer at epm.net.co> escribió:  Hi GRASS users:

In your opinion and experience, which hardware configuration
is the best to run GRASS over LINUX ?

With "best" I mean best performance,
and also cheapest. (about U$ 2.000 the whole basic system:
mother board+CPUs+RAM+HD)

By the way, which LINUX distribution is the best to
run GRASS with huge data base?
and in combination with what kind of (cheap) hardware?

Thank you very much for your help.

Kenneth

Happy Holydays!!

begin:vcard
fn:Kenneth  Cabrera
n:Cabrera;Kenneth
adr;quoted-printable:;;;Medell=C3=ADn;Antioquia;00000;Colombia
email;internet:krcabrer at epm.net.co
tel;cell:315 504 9339
version:2.1
end:vcard