[GRASSLIST:9346] Re: ArcInfo Grid vs r.in/out.gdal

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 23:56:42 EST 2005

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought that you were referring to the
coordinates of an arbitrary cell value (x, y), not the bounding box of
the whole raster.

The only two raster registration systems that I have encountered are
"raster" where the cell's value is located at the center of the cell,
and "lattice" or "fishnet" where each corner of the cell has a value
(really, the intersection of row and column lines).

In the former, there are row * col values.
In the latter there are (rows + 1) * (cols +1) values.

You suggested that GRASS uses a variation on the "raster" format where
instead of the cell center, the lower-left corner was the location of
the value.

This is a 1/2 X 1/2 cell shift in coordinates from what I expected.
I've got a lot of code that is messed up if that is the case.

David

--
David Finlayson
Marine Geology & Geophysics

Office: Marine Sciences Building, Room 112
Phone: (206) 616-9407
Web: http://students.washington.edu/dfinlays