[GRASSLIST:9499] Re: v.to.rast problem

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 05:54:18 EST 2005

> >>v.to.rast input=jgenel1 layer=1 output=jgenel1 use=attr column=yas
> >>rows=4096
> >>db_select_to_array()
..
> v.info -c jgenel1
> Displaying column type for database connection of layer 1:
> INTEGER|cat
> CHARACTER|yas
> INTEGER|count
> DOUBLE PRECISION|sum_cat
>
> in postgresql
>
> bzk=# \d jgenel1
>           Table "public.jgenel1"
> Column  |         Type          | Modifiers
> ---------+-----------------------+-----------
> cat     | integer               |
> yas     | character varying(80) |
> count   | integer               |
> sum_cat | double precision      |

The v.to.rast column= must be numeric (integer, double).
(ok, poorly documented & error message might make a suggestion)

Alternately if you really want to save the labels, use the cat column
for the value and then make a "$MAPSET/cats/" file with the cat numbers
and the text labels. This would be pretty easy to generate
automatically. I am not sure if/where this is mentioned in the modern
documentation. Should probably be in grass6/raster/rasterintro.html or
a grass6/doc/raster/specification.html ? Doxygen?

Hamish