[GRASSLIST:9508] Re: Rasters not displaying from old (Windows ) Grass Projects

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Thu Dec 15 10:05:16 EST 2005

 -----Original Message-----
From: Chris George [mailto:cwg at iist.unu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 11:07 PM
To: Patton, Eric
Cc: 'GRASSLIST at baylor.edu'; glynn at ccis01.baylor.edu
Subject: Re: [GRASSLIST:9441] Re: Rasters not displaying from old (Windows)
Gr ass Projects

>Dear Eric,

>Since your rasters work in 5.3 there clearly isn't a problem with DOS
format files: my guess was wrong.  (Incidentally, zip/unzip are different
from gzip/gunzip.  They are available >in Ubuntu.)

>I would avoid using GRASS 6.1.cvs unless it is important to you to have
some feature not available in a stable release.  I am amazed how many GRASS
users seem to use the >development version which is much more likely to
contain bugs.  Can you manage with 6.0.1?

>Chris

>PS If you want to send me a tar or zip file of some of your maps I can
check they load with 6.0.1.

Chris and Others,

I've racked my brain trying as many things I could think of. Here's some
more tests I've done:

1) I've tarred the Cygwin 6.1 Grass Location and transferred it to my Linux
partition by: a) gftp from within Ubuntu (binary mode transfer) b)
drag-and-drop using Nautilus c) the cp and mv commands from the command line
d) transferring first to my FAT32 data-swap partition then to Linux
partition. In all cases, rasters do not display; various r* commands give
seg faults. ps -aef shows one "d.mon <defunct> process for every raster I
attempted to display.

2) I've tarred the Location using the --posix switch in tar, thinking
perhaps posix-compliance was an issue (?). Regardless, same effects seen in
(1) above. Also tried passing the -a switch in gzip on the tarfile, then
decompressing and untarring into Ubuntu. No difference.

3) Tarring individual rasters in Cygwin (i.e., tar cvf rastername.tar
*/rastername from within the PERMANENT directory) and then un-tarring them
within a new Location in Ubuntu results in same as (1) above.

4) Tarring an individual 6.1 Cygwin raster and untarring into a pre-existing
Grass 5.3 location on RedHat 8 is successful; raster can be displayed and
behaves normally.

Very frustrating. I've tarred and gzipped a test Location and placed it on
my ftp site ftp://gsca.nrcan.gc.ca/outgoing/Patton for anyone who wants to
try it out on their Linux distro and see if they can reproduce my errors.
It's a representative mix of a few rasters and vectors that I've been
working with. Size is 30MB compressed, 100MB uncompressed. I can cull that
down if it's too big.

Thanks,

~ Eric.