[GRASSLIST:9566] Global topography

Joel Peter William Pitt joel.pitt at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 01:00:19 EST 2005

Hi all,

I'm trying to georeference the global topography data here:

ftp://topex.ucsd.edu/pub/global_topo_2min

WIth more info here:
http://topex.ucsd.edu/WWW_html/mar_topo.html

It comes with hdr and ers files (attached) but GRASS opens the img
data as unprojected.

I've tried setting the projection and datum manually and then
importing but I'm just getting myself horribly confused.

I managed to find a file online that defined the MRWORLD projection as:
MRWORLD:PROJCS["MRWORLD",PROJECTION["Mercator_1SP"],PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin",0],PARAMETER["central_meridian",0],PARAMETER["scale_factor",1],PARAMETER["false_easting",0],PARAMETER["false_northing",20000000]]

I also tried manually setting the cell header as per the conversions
in the GRASSLIST post here:
http://lists.directionsmag.com/discussion/read.php?f=16&i=1388&loc=0&t=1388

Can anyone help me?

Alternatively, if there is a global topography (including sea floor)
dataset which is more easily included with correct projection and
datum then feel free to point me to that.

Much thanks,
Joel