[GRASSLIST:5577] Re: display monitor geometry

Ian MacMillan ian_macmillan at umail.ucsb.edu
Tue Feb 1 01:06:15 EST 2005

Hi again, thanks for the reply, I think I understand things a little
better now after some reading, but I still have two problems.  First,
my .grassrc6 (I think OSX uses this instead of .grass.bashrc) file
reads:
GISDBASE: /Users/ianmacmillan/grass
LOCATION_NAME: utm11
MAPSET: ianmacmillan
GRASS_WIDTH: 480
GRASS_HEIGHT: 480
MONITOR: x0
GRASS_GUI: tcltk

However whenever I open a raster I get a 640x480 monitor.  Just for
sh-- and giggles I made a .grass.bashrc file as well that solely has
GRASS_WIDTH=480
GRASS_HEIGHT=480

Still no change in the monitor geometry.  I don't get it.

Problem 2:
Another window geometry problem I am unsure about involves my xterm
window.  I am getting weird behavior between GRASS and X11.  My xterm
normally opens with a 110x25+600+65 geometry when I open X11 for the
first time, or a new xterm once X11 is already open.  This is the
geometry I have specified in two files ~/.Xdefaults and ~/.Xresources.
When I open grass6 using the icon, my xterm opens with a scrollbar and
scroll length of 2000 (as also specified in these files), but the
geometry is 80x25+600+65.  If I exit grass, then restart without
restarting X11, the xterm opens with 80x25+0+20.  I don't understand
this behavior.  It seems like there is an .xinitrc file or something
else that grass reads, but I don't know where it is.  Any ideas?

I know this all seems trivial, but I would just like a slicker
application look.  Why should I have to resize 3 windows every time I
restart GRASS?  Overall I am thrilled with GRASS, and the work the
developers put in, but little things like this go a long way to making
it a friendlier application to us non programmer types.

Thanks a bunch,
Ian