[GRASSLIST:5579] Re: display monitor geometry

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 02:13:54 EST 2005

> Hi again, thanks for the reply, I think I understand things a little
> better now after some reading, but I still have two problems.  First,
> my .grassrc6 (I think OSX uses this instead of .grass.bashrc) file

No.

.grassrc6 holds the last visited mapset etc (for when you restart)

.grass.bashrc contains custom start up commands
   (when using a Bash/Bourne shell)

again,
> > study:
> > http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass60/manuals/html60_user/variables.html

[we are nearing tweaking-for-power-users territory....]

> However whenever I open a raster I get a 640x480 monitor.  Just for
> sh-- and giggles I made a .grass.bashrc file as well that solely has
> GRASS_WIDTH=480
> GRASS_HEIGHT=480
>
> Still no change in the monitor geometry.  I don't get it.

almost there. For the shell variables to escape their script (here
.grass.bashrc) and be passed on you need to use "export".

make the file look like this:
export GRASS_WIDTH=480
export GRASS_HEIGHT=480

then restart GRASS.

> Problem 2:
> Another window geometry problem I am unsure about involves my xterm
> window.  I am getting weird behavior between GRASS and X11.  My xterm
> normally opens with a 110x25+600+65 geometry when I open X11 for the
> first time, or a new xterm once X11 is already open.  This is the
> geometry I have specified in two files ~/.Xdefaults and ~/.Xresources.
>
> When I open grass6 using the icon, my xterm opens with a scrollbar and
>
> scroll length of 2000 (as also specified in these files), but the
> geometry is 80x25+600+65.  If I exit grass, then restart without
> restarting X11, the xterm opens with 80x25+0+20.  I don't understand
> this behavior.  It seems like there is an .xinitrc file or something
> else that grass reads, but I don't know where it is.  Any ideas?

on the Mac, X11 opens up a xterm every time you start it. (try starting
X11 not by starting GRASS to see) there'll be a /etc/X11/xinitrc or
somewhere to comment it out. (let me know if you find it, always bugs me)
??
otherwise no idea.

> I know this all seems trivial, but I would just like a slicker
> application look.  Why should I have to resize 3 windows every time I
> restart GRASS?  Overall I am thrilled with GRASS, and the work the
> developers put in, but little things like this go a long way to making
> it a friendlier application to us non programmer types.

I'm all for getting rid of little anoyances.

Hamish