[GRASSLIST:5729] Re: mpeg_encode: can't load dynamic linker

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 22:43:59 EST 2005

> > > I wanted to produce some mpeg movie with NVIZ, but the mpeg_encode
> > > says:
> > >
> > >     /mpeg_encode: can't load dynamic linker '/lib/ld.so'
..
> there was an bug (I suppose so) in mpeg_encode source. Now it runs. I
> have reported to author, but the source code is from 29.11.1995, so I
> don't know, if anyone will read it.
>
> For those of you, who want to compile mpeg_encode:
>
> 1) download the file mpeg_encode-1.5b-patched-src.tar.gz from
>     ftp://mm-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/multimedia/mpeg/encode/
>
> 2) edit the file libpnmrw.c, comment the line no. 129 out
>     /*extern char* sys_errlist[];*/
>
> 3) run "make", it worked by me.

for MPEG-1 you don't actually need mpeg_encode. Most Linux/Mac systems
come with the NetPBM tools which include the "ppmtompeg" program.

And "ppmtompeg" is just "mpeg_encode" with bug fixes. just make a
symlink. Debian's version works fine.  See the r.out.mpeg module.

MPEG-1 is fairly crummy quality wise; as Dylan noted, mpeg2encode creates
nicer MPEG-2 movies. You can use mplayer's mencode to create even nicer
MPEG-4 movies.  http://www.mplayerhq.hu

Note that anything newer than MPEG-1 probably has patent liability
issues to think about.

Hamish