[GRASSLIST:5898] Re: Grass OSX aqua - x11 for testing

Lorenzo Moretti lorenzo.moretti at bologna.enea.it
Thu Feb 24 06:05:20 EST 2005

Hi Jan
It's important for enabling Aqua in Grass to install Grass complete
(050202) the patch (grasslib_patch_aqua_gdal_e00_050202-2.zip ) and
last cvs (050219).

TclTkAqua complete is NOT need.
I only use a runtime app (Wish Shell.app) installed by my patch in
/usr/local/grasslib/bin. If you have a complete TclTkAqua you can use
it with other apps. My Grass use only the files installed inside
/usr/local/grasslib.

>Hi all, I have had some weird issues arise with the new osx aqua
>interface (looks great!).
>
>1) I have been getting some weird crashes of Wish using the new
>interface.  No error messages are reported, Wish just quits, though
>my GRASS session is still active within X11.  I haven't been able to
>reproduce the errors, and they have occurred from a variety of
>programs.  (r.shaded.relief, r.proj, using the display manager to
>query a vector, etc.).  If I had to guess, they seem to occur when a
>program finishes.  I can start up wish again within the same grass
>session with d.m, and there aren't any problems.  It isn't a major
>problem yet, but it is a bit frustrating.

No. You cannot use the same location in X11 and Aqua. Grass doesn't allow this.
You can open one location (eg: speafish57) in X11 and another
location (eg: imagery) in OSX Aqua.
You can open all the locations that you want in OSX (or a mix X11 -
Aqua). If you open them in Aqua you'll see in the Dock many Wish
Shell icon: every Wish Shell app is a Grass location (in the 6
release the "Wish Shell.app" will be named "Grass.app" with an grassx
icon and the text "...running").

>2) The scroll bars don't work like they should in aqua.  You can
>click and drag them, but if you click in an open space to jump the
>scroll (left, middle, or right click), the bar moves, but the window
>doesn't.

Mmmhh.. This is TclTk Aqua feature but in my daily use Grass under
Aqua is very usable and it's fast. Many box in Grass are not equal:
they are very long sometimes for viewing the file PATH.
When I have built Grass for OS X I wanted to remain near the source
code released: Grass run in X11 and my Aqua version is linked to X11
libs for better compatibilty: I've changed only 3 files and 2 files
only for dropping Tear-Off menu present in X11.

>3) When a new dialog opens, say for r.proj, it shows up blank.  You
>can get the text to appear by moving a scroll bar.  This happens
>probably 90% of the time for me.

Yes. This is not beatiful but not a great problem: it's sufficient a
clic or in the lower right corner or in the scroll bar for refreshing.
Remember that Grass always work in X11 and the interface in Aqua call
X11 and return: a small refresh problem is possible.

>Anybody else had the same problems?
>
>-Ian

Any suggestion for enhancing Grass is welcome ...

Bye

||      Lorenzo Moretti        e-mail: lorenzo.moretti at bologna.enea.it
||/|/|  ENEA prot/idr          Web: http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/
||   |  via Don Fiammelli, 2   FTP: ftp://ftpamb.bologna.enea.it/ (ris.)
~~~~~~  40128 BOLOGNA - ITALY  Ph: +39-0516098086  Fax: +39-0516098131