[GRASSLIST:5912] v.convert problem - OSX, 6.0cvs

Nick Cahill ndcahill at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Feb 25 16:40:44 EST 2005

Dear Grass Users,

I was bringing some old vector maps into GRASS 6.0, using Lorenzo
Moretti's excellent new version for OSX. I imported once without
realizing that the database connection was set to odbc (left over from
an unsuccessful attempt to connect to a Filemaker database using ODBC).
The process failed when trying to attach categories to the data:

DBMI-ODBC driver error: SQLConnect():
[unixODBC][Driver Manager]Invalid string or buffer length (0)
GRASS_INFO_ERROR(827,29): Cannot open database
/Users/nick/Grass/sardis/PERMANENT/dbf/

I then set the database connection to dbf (db.connect), and imported
the file again using a different name. This time it apparently imported
all right, but the new vector files are not recognized -?- as new
vector files; when I try to set the region to the new vector file I get
an error

g.region vect=con10_beta1
Cannot open old vector con10_beta1 at PERMANENT on level 2

Trying to display the new vector causes an error:

child process exited abnormally
child process exited abnormally
     while executing
"exec -- d.vect map=con10_beta1 color=0:0:0 lcolor=0:0:0
fcolor=170:170:170 display=shape type=point,line,boundary,centroid,area
icon=basic/x size=5 la..."
blah blah...

Nor can I remove the new converted map:

g.remove vect=con10_beta1
Cannot open old vector con10_beta1 at PERMANENT on level 1
REMOVE [con10_beta1]

I've tried this in both beta 1 and beta 2, with no success. Any help
out there?

BTW I would also like to know if anyone has gotten ODBC to work with
GRASS under OS X.

Nick Cahill