[GRASSLIST:5929] Re: newbie trying to get started with a USGS DEM

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Mon Feb 28 01:31:44 EST 2005

>>>>> "Hamish" == Hamish  <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> writes:

Hamish> Zoom to the geographic extents of your map before trying to
Hamish> display them:

Hamish> g.region rast=A145121

Hamish> also, it might be better to start with a simpler 2D view
Hamish> before trying NVIZ.

Hamish> d.mon x0
Hamish> d.rast A145121

Excellent!  Thank you, that's got me off to a start.  The DEMs are in
7.5-minute chunks.  When I try to combine them, e.g.:

  $ g.region rast=C645121,D645121
  $ nviz elevation=C645121,D645121

There is a small gap between the two rasters.  How can I stitch them
together?  Also, is there an easy way to draw on a long/lat grid so
that I can orient myself more easily?

Thanks!

seniorr at aracnet.com