[GRASSLIST:5376] Re: v.in.e00 errors

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Jan 15 12:04:28 EST 2005

Ravi,

Your error message implies that the v.in.e00 script or tcltk GUI has a typo
(v.in.v00 instead of v.in.e00). However, I checked both a 20 Dec. version of
5.7-cvs and the current 6.0.0beta1 release of GRASS and couldn't find such a
typo. Perhaps you are using an older version???

I decided to run v.in.e00 myself to check it out. I first tried with some
USFS files I had. I got a strange error about not being able to open the
data source. Well, these are old files and so there might be a problem. So I
then tried some digital chart of the world (DCW) files I had downloaded for
Spain within the past year.

Again I got some strange errors that I initially blamed on a directory
structure that had a directory name with a space in it (from when I was a
carefree Mac person that didn't think about unix naming conventions). Fixed
that. Now I still get an error, but this is something that can be worked
with. Here it is and below I'll recount what is happening. It is probably
pretty easy to fix.

[using 6.0.0 beta1 on Mac OSX]

v.in.e00
file=/Users/Shared/projects/spain/Regional_maps/DCW/new_e00/dnnet.e00
type=line vect=spain_drainages -v
E00 ASCII found and converted to Arc Coverage in current directory
Importing...

Cannot open data source
An error occurred. Stop.

V.in.e00 converts the DCW file to an Arc Coverage (as the output says
above). But there is something off with the v.in.ogr part of the script and
it bombs. However, when I used v.in.ogr to read in the Arc Coverage created
by v.in.e00 it does so with no problem.

I'll see about testing it if I have a bit of time over the weekend. My guess
is that it is something in how the E00NAME variable gets parsed in the
script and read into v.in.ogr. Maybe Marcus will know right away. I've tried
it with and without using the *.e00 extension and had similar results.

Michael

PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402