[GRASSLIST:5384] Re: v.in.e00 errors

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Jan 17 04:57:43 EST 2005

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 10:04:28AM -0700, Michael Barton wrote:
> Ravi,
>
> Your error message implies that the v.in.e00 script or tcltk GUI has a typo
> (v.in.v00 instead of v.in.e00). However, I checked both a 20 Dec. version of
> 5.7-cvs and the current 6.0.0beta1 release of GRASS and couldn't find such a
> typo.

I fixed that in CVS after receiving Ravi note.

cvs2cl.pl menu.tcl
        * menu.tcl: v.in.v00 -> v.in.e00

> Perhaps you are using an older version???

As suggested earlier, a user can simply fix 'menu.tcl' with
a text editor (or, better, get 6.0.0beta1).

> I decided to run v.in.e00 myself to check it out. I first tried with some
> USFS files I had. I got a strange error about not being able to open the
> data source. Well, these are old files and so there might be a problem. So I
> then tried some digital chart of the world (DCW) files I had downloaded for
> Spain within the past year.
>
> Again I got some strange errors that I initially blamed on a directory
> structure that had a directory name with a space in it (from when I was a
> carefree Mac person that didn't think about unix naming conventions). Fixed
> that. Now I still get an error, but this is something that can be worked
> with. Here it is and below I'll recount what is happening. It is probably
> pretty easy to fix.

At least it's easy to debug :-)

Open the v.in.e00 file, add ' -x' to the first #/bin/sh line and run again.
It will then report every line. If you don't see anything wrong,
please send the output to me for inspection.

So, for debugging, use:
#!/bin/sh -x
[...]

Markus