[GRASSLIST:5377] problems with grass 6.0 beta

Andy Bernat abernatj at cox.net
Sat Jan 15 15:40:59 EST 2005

Greetings,
I just downloaded and compiled grass-6.0.0beta1.  At first I got
configure errors because gdal libraries couldn't be found.  After I
installed gdal 1.2.5 (without grass support because no matter what
directories I specified, it couldn't find the grass libraries), there
were no errors after configure and make.  When I started grass60, it
loaded the initial tcl menu where I chose my mapset but then I got the
following error:

Error in startup script: ps.map: error while loading shared libraries:
libgdal.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    while executing
"exec ps.map -p"
    (procedure "DmPrint::init" line 14)
    invoked from within
"DmPrint::init"
    (procedure "main" line 31)
    invoked from within
"main $argc $argv"
    (file "/usr/local/grass-6.0.0beta1/etc/dm/d.m.tcl" line 890)

The puzzling thing is the shared library libgdal.so.1 seems to be alive
and well.  Can anyone tell me how to fix this?  I looked in the files
indicated but I don't know enough to know what really went wrong.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
-Andy.