[GRASSLIST:5378] Re: problems with grass 6.0 beta

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Jan 15 15:54:46 EST 2005

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, Andy Bernat wrote:

> Greetings,
> I just downloaded and compiled grass-6.0.0beta1.  At first I got
> configure errors because gdal libraries couldn't be found.  After I
> installed gdal 1.2.5 (without grass support because no matter what
> directories I specified, it couldn't find the grass libraries), there
> were no errors after configure and make.  When I started grass60, it
> loaded the initial tcl menu where I chose my mapset but then I got the
> following error:
>
> Error in startup script: ps.map: error while loading shared libraries:
> libgdal.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>     while executing
> "exec ps.map -p"
>     (procedure "DmPrint::init" line 14)
>     invoked from within
> "DmPrint::init"
>     (procedure "main" line 31)
>     invoked from within
> "main $argc $argv"
>     (file "/usr/local/grass-6.0.0beta1/etc/dm/d.m.tcl" line 890)
>
> The puzzling thing is the shared library libgdal.so.1 seems to be alive
> and well.  Can anyone tell me how to fix this?  I looked in the files
> indicated but I don't know enough to know what really went wrong.
> Thanks in advance for any advice.

This is a Linux system, isn't it?

Does "alive and well" mean that it is in /usr/local/lib, or that it is in
/usr/local/lib (or wherever) and that directory is in /etc/ld.so.conf and
you've run ldconfig since installing gdal (sorry if this is obvious, but
it's a hole lots of us fall into, even if we do know better)? Editing
/etc/ld.so.conf and running ldconfig are for root. Does running gdalinfo
from the shell prompt work:

$ gdalinfo --version
GDAL 1.2.5.0, released 2004/11/22

for example?