[GRASSLIST:5451] Re: GRASS and MODFLOW

Jaime Carrera jaicarrerahdez at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 19 21:14:30 EST 2005

http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/twiki/bin/view/GRASS/JaimeCarrera

> Note r.out.ascii can create MODFLOW arrays too.
>
> Glad to see some more model integration.
>

> Hamish

Dear Hamish,

Yes, it is true that r.out.ascii can export a raster
map as an ASCII file which can be used to create
MODFLOW's input files as it does not create a
ready-to- use array. In my opinion this can only be
done by someone who knows the nuts and bolts of
MODFLOW, as setting up the files to run MODFLOW is not
an easy task (e.g. the user needs to know where to
place each exported array in the specific files read
by MODFLOW as well as the header/footer that goes
before/after each array). In summary, each file used
by MODFLOW is comprised of different arrays which have
to be in a specific order.

The idea behind this module is to use GRASS as a
preprocessor and post-processor for MODFLOW, as it not
only creates the required input files but also
executes MODFLOW (providing it is installed in the
system). The module can be used to perform both
steady-state and transient simulations for multilayer
aquifers.

Jaime