[GRASSLIST:5452] Re: Newcomer Q:Missing libraries on OS X

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Jan 20 01:24:34 EST 2005

On 1/19/05 8:30 AM, "Matt Sakals" <msakals at interchange.ubc.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to install GRASS, and have used the GRASS complete download for OS
> X from http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/forgrass/download.htm
> but I don't know if my libraries have been installed; I can't find a grasslib
> folder on my computer anywhere.

Matt,

If you have run the install program for the grass libraries in Lorenzo
Moretti¹s GRASS complete, they are probably OK. They are located in
/usr/local/grasslib. This is a Œhidden¹ directory on a Mac. You can check it
by either...
    1. Using the terminal program and entering
    >>cd /usr/local/grasslib
    >>ls

    2. Selecting ŒGo to folder¹ from the ŒGo¹ menu in the finder. Enter /usr
and press ŒGo¹
    You should be able to navigate to /usr/local/grasslib then.

> I don't know if GRASS is working right or not because I am new, but in the
> tutorial it crashes when trying to import .shp files.

You don¹t say which version of GRASS you are using. But I recommend using
GRASS 6.0.0beta1. It is posted on my mirror site for Lorenzo¹s files. I do
NOT recommend using 5.7.0 because it is problematic. GRASS 5.4 is fine also,
but 6.0 does more and generally does it more better. You should have no
trouble importing a *.shp file using v.in.ogr in GRASS 6.0.

Hope this helps.

Michael

PO Box 872402
Arizona State University