[GRASSLIST:5505] Re: Newcomer Q:Missing libraries on OS X

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Jan 24 18:57:06 EST 2005

Matt,

Here are the steps to get your data into GRASS. The learning curve for GRASS
is about the same as for ArcView (if you can remember starting from
scratch). Knowing ArcView can be helpful and frustrating. You have some idea
of what is possible, but the ways to do it are sometimes quite different‹but
not always. Now that I¹ve mastered GRASS many things are much easier than in
ArcView, some are harder, and others are just different. Hope this helps.

Michael

Use v.in.ogr (/files/import/vector/various formats using OGR) for the shape
files.

1. Make sure you are in a location with the correct projection parameters
and extents.

2. Put the path to directory with the files in the ³OGR datasource name² box
(path the DIRECTORY only, without the shapefile name).

3. Put the new name of the GRASS vector file you want to create in the ³name
of output vector² field

4. Put the name of the shapefile in the ³OGR layer name² box WITHOUT the
.shp extension. (You can check the List available layers... checkbox at the
bottom to see a list of the names)

5. You will probably have to check the ³Override projection² checkbox
because shape files don¹t contain projection information (except with new
ArcGIS).

6. You may want to check the ³Extend location extents...² box if the map is
bigger than the region you are importing into.

This should work.

Use r.in.gdal for the ArcView grid file. (/files/import/raster/various
formats using gdal).

1. Browse to the hdr.adf file inside the grid folder (not the info folder)
to put in the ³Raster file to be imported² box

2. Give a name to the new GRASS raster file you are creating

3. You may have to check the ³Override projections...² checkbox, and may
want to check the ³Extend location extents...² checkbox

This should import fine.

Once you have imported the files go to g.region (/gis/region/manage region)
and set the region to match either of your maps. This makes sure that you
are looking at the part of the world where you just imported data.

Use the GIS manager to display your data.

Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 480-965-6262; fax: 480-965-7671