[GRASSLIST:7416] silly question?

M S mseibel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 15:03:20 EDT 2005

I've been an <GASP>  E$RI arc/info workstation user for 10+ years, and
i'm finally (successfully) jumping ship.  from what i read, i see,
GRASS can do everything workstation can, not to mention its
plug-ability with Quantum GIS and other open source software.

Does anyone know if there has ever been a document created that is
somewhat of a HOWTO in a GRASS approach from a workstation mindset?
The biggest stumbling block for me was, believe it or not, setting up
the GISDBASE, LOCATION & MAPSET.  once i got that understood stuff
started falling into place for me.

In other words, is there some document that illustrates tasks
performed in workstation with corrisponding commands document of how
to do the same procedures in GRASS?  Also, is there a more thorough
explanation of what v.digit can do other than
http://grass.itc.it/gdp/html_grass5/html/v.digit.html ?  v.digit seems
quite powerful, and i compare it to ArcEdit (by nature of being
schooled in the "workstation" approach to GIS).  I recognize i can and
should RTFM, but being so ingrained in that OTHER software's approach,
it often messes with my thought process, as i often try to relate
commands from one software's approach to another, which is probably
not the best thing to do.

some examples are:
digitizing/editing topologic vector data
rectifying images
working with GIS vector database attributes (i.e. table manipulation
and changing attributes)
overlaying vector data with attribute information
cut/fill operations
cartographic operations for hardcopy maps

Its probably a silly question.  But often times i find my self saying
"i know how to do this in workstation, I know GRASS can do this, but
how do i proceed?"

anyone else out there transition from that OTHER software company to
GRASS? and what was the best way you handled the migration?  I cant
totally throw out everything i know about workstation, but cause the
concepts are the same.  its the specific commands and methodology that
often have my head spinning...

cheers to all users and developers!  GRASS is an amazing piece of GIS software!