[GRASSLIST:7490] Newbie having trouble starting GRASS...

Landon Blake lblake at KSNINC.COM
Thu Jul 7 13:20:53 EDT 2005

I'm having some trouble getting GRASS fired up. I am new to Linux and GRASS, so I appreciate your patience with my efforts to get GRASS running successfully.

I'm running Debian Sarge, and I've installed GRASS 6.0.0.

I followed the direction in the GRASS tutorials, and set up the following folder to hold my GRASS Databases/Data:

/home/linuxuser/GRASS/GRASSDATA

When I start GRASS, I enter the following information in the "Database:" text box of the dialog:

/home/linuxuser/GRASS/GRASSDATA

I then click the "Create Location From ESPG", and enter the appropriate ESPG code.

GRASS then automatically shutsdown.

When I restart GRASS, I select the following information in the dialog:

Location: New Location
Map Set: PERMANENT

I then click the "Enter GRASS" button.

When I do so the splash screen displays, and after waiting a few seconds I see "done" in the top right corner of the splash screen. However, the splash screen disappears and nothing else happens. Alt-Tab does not bring up any minimized or hidden windows.

What am I doing wrong?

Am I supposed to see something after the splash screen displays.

Thanks,

Landon