[GRASSLIST:7493] Re: First reactions

Martin Wegmann wegmann at biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de
Thu Jul 7 13:36:04 EDT 2005

Hello Ned,

thanks for your commendations, critics, proposals. It is indeed very helpful
to get to know the first impression because many users/developers are already
used to command-line & certain structures of GRASS which are entirely
incomprehensible for new users.

On Thursday 07 July 2005 18:42, you wrote:
[...]
>I find
> it easier to run GRASS within Linux (on a Linux only computer) and that is
> the setup I am using. Most of our users, however, would not want to deal
> with Linux.

I totally agree!
Installing GRASS on linux is quit easy, but for Windows an *.exe file is
missing. I am not familiar with the software-build problems, but as far as I
am aware of it, it is a license problem. Somebody has to pursue the exe-build
program. Please correct me if I am wrong.

[...]
> Another drawback is that it is not possible to
> simply start grass then open and immediately explore an image. If all image
> work was based on a geographically defined area this approach might be
> acceptable but for those instances (frequent for me) when you want to load
> an image and do some simple processing the whole database/location
> framework is a pain.[...]

> I expect this location/mapset restriction is the reason it is necessary to
> restart GRASS 3 times when geocoding a scanned map. There must be a more
> straightforward way to geocode images.
>
> If GRASS would allow you to start the application, click on File => Open
> and then have an image open in a viewer so a user could zoom, pan, read
> coordinates, change bands. the interest in GRASS would increase by a factor
> of 10 or more overnight. A user should not need to read a tutorial to
> simply display an image of their choice. I am convinced that this instant
> appeal is a critical hook to get more people interested in GRASS.

Of course it is possible to enter a previously setup mapset and choose import
a raster into a newly generated one. However I fancy your proposal that the
user should be able to choose to look at the image first (r.in.gdal + d.mon
x0 + d.rast XY) without entering a location/mapset followed by an "generate
location/mapset"  for the respective raster.

I don't know how easy it is to accomplish this "wish" but to zoom in and just
select a subset for import might be very interesting as well.

For other quick-looks tasks I would recommend QGIS.

> I realize that much of the power of GRASS is accessible through the command
> line but for many people if this functionality is not available through an
> intuitive menu structure then it is effectively not available.

the d.m tcltk interface brings a pretty intuitive menu structure to GRASS
(compared to the former one) but to produce real "eye candy" a e.g. QT4 UI
project should be initialised.
Perhaps we should announce that we are looking for motivated OpenSource qt
programmer. ,-)

> One feature that I think would be quite useful is to add a calculator GUI
> to the current map algebra option. The current r.mapcalculator work fine
> but in my experience a GUI that resembles a calculator is more intuitive to
> use.

Event though I am already used to r.mapcalc and love how it works, a
calculator-like interface would lower the learning curve.

> All in all I think GRASS has come a long way and I expect that I will begin
> using it in some of our remote sensing training courses in the future.
> First I need to become more proficient and knowledgeable with what GRASS
> can do and how to efficiently accomplish a series of tasks.

Especially a recurring series of tasks is easily accomplished by GRASS using a
script - just mail if I shall send you an example script.

I think the most important thing GRASS needs are programmers who start helping
on solving bugs, wishes -- hopefully GRASS will attract them as well.

best regards, Martin

--
Martin Wegmann

DLR - German Aerospace Center