[GRASSLIST:7497] Re: First reactions

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 15:06:56 EDT 2005

I am all for GUIs on things I use infrequently or where I just don't
want to spend weeks learning how they work. Let an expert set things
up and I will take their advise. I wouldn't use Linux, for example,
if it didn't have GUIs for things like printer and network
configuration, firewalls, etc. But in my area of expertise I want a
command line, I want full control. I AM the expert.

I think the division of QGIS and GRASS falls neatly into that
paradigm. If you are a casual GIS user, don't want to invest two weeks
into a program just to make a map. Use QGIS, that's what it's for. If,
on the other hand, you need to crunch gigabytes of complicated spatial
data, use GRASS. That's what it's for. The GUI/CLI debate is really
about meeting the needs of the casual vs hard-core users. Nobody is
hard-core about everything, but then again no one is causal about
everything either.

My 2 cents.

David

--
David Finlayson
Marine Geology & Geophysics

Office: Marine Sciences Building, Room 112
Phone: (206) 616-9407
Web: http://students.washington.edu/dfinlays