[GRASSLIST:7506] Export question: how to get level 2 vector data

Bart scarfboy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 20:58:51 EDT 2005

Hi all,

Maybe someone can give me the trouble of digging around.

I'm building an SVG-based viewer for exported GRASS
data, and I just noticed that v.out.ascii ignores (some?)
level 2 type vector data. (example map: spearfish 6, tractids)
This means I can't fill anything, since areas aren't exported
and boundaries are just segment lines, and to fill those
individually just looks silly.
(correct me if I'm wrong about any of this)

My question is whether v.out.ogr does export all level 2 data -
it mentions areas, though not islands. Are those ignored or
exported as areas?

Also, I'm guessing GML is my best bet for an easily parsable output?

(Side question: why do almost no feature types combine?  As
 a quick test shows, to get all five I have to do four separate
 exports. It's not really a problem [though it rules out a quick
 and dirty xsl transform], I just don't get why.)

Thanks,
--Bart Alewijnse