[GRASSLIST:7568] Re: Synergy between Grass/Python/GMT

Dylan Beaudette dylan at iici.no-ip.org
Sat Jul 16 10:54:42 EDT 2005

David,

I am extremely interested in any possible ways to streamline the
GRASS-GMT workflow.

I have started documenting a BASH shell version of the process, but a
python interface might be able to provide a tremendous amount of
flexibility compared to BASH.

The website where this is documented is currently down (power outage
while I was out in the field...), but I will try and have it back up in
a couple hours. Please let me know about any future plans with this--

Cheers,

--
Dylan Beaudette
University of California at Davis

On Jul 15, 2005, at 10:39 PM, David Finlayson wrote:

> I'd be happy to share it, but frankly it's pretty crude. I'd be
> embarrassed to foist this off as a good example of either Grass or
> Python (though maybe it is a good example of how flexible this
> combination is, even for light-weight programmers). The class simply
> wraps an interface around a few standard GRASS commands and captures
> the results (r.region for example). My dream is to write a real Python
> interface to the Grass programming interface, but that project is on
> hold until I finish my PhD.
>
> Is there a good place on the wiki for sharing scripts? When I get this
> GMT thing polished up I think it will be quite useful for folks who
> use GMT.
>
> David
>

> On 7/15/05, Stephan Holl <holl at gdf-hannover.de> wrote:
>> Hello David,
>>
>> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:27:18 -0700 David Finlayson
>> <david.p.finlayson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've been working on a script to convert GRASS rasters directly into
>>> GMT plots in a single command. So far it converts the raster to GMT
>>> format, copies over the colormap and builds a simple graticule and
>>> scale bar. Works well.
>>>
>>> In the process of building this script, however, I discovered there
>>> is
>>> some great synergy possible between IPython (the interactive python
>>> shell) and GRASS. Here is how it works:
>>>
>>> 1) Launch ipython from within your grass shell
>>> 2) import a simple class designed to work with rasters