[GRASSLIST:7574] Re: Interior Buffers

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Sun Jul 17 13:34:39 EDT 2005

David

From: "Dave Sampson" <gis at watersheds.ca>

> using r.buffer how might I perform an interior buffer. That is take the
> outside of a raster clump (from r.clump) and make concentric internal
> buffers at 100, 200, 300 meters etc?.

Accidently I have found the functionality you are interested in in v.buffer,
which seems to be a undocumented feature or a bug.

Anyway: if the input for v.buffer is a *closed* *line* (not the area), then
the output is an "internal buffer" :) area polygon, which is of about
*twice* the extent you provide in option "buffer=".

I have reported it as a bug http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3427.

After rethinking it, I'm not sure what to think. It seems a kind of bug on
one hand, especially that the "internal buffer" size is 2 x the buffer
required, and a cool functionality on the other.

The best IMHO would be to extend v.buffer to be able to create such
"internal buffers" in a controlled and documented way. Any chances? What do
others think?

Maciek