[GRASSLIST:7578] Re: color balancing in mosaic

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 17 22:36:19 EDT 2005

> Thank you very much for your reply!! Yes, I only use the mosaiced
> images for  "good looking" not for classification purpose. (I know it
> takes raw image for  classification, so we don't change their spectral
> information, thanks for  remind me this!). I believe you have ideas
> how to color balancing for my  mosaiced, color composited landsat
> images for viewing.

I am no RS expert, but for nice looking LANDSAT output here are some
things you might try.

Use d.histogram to do a subjective or r.stats to do an objective
analysis of each band's distribution. Rescale with r.rescale or
r.rescale.eq (?) and gate filter back to (0,255) with r.mapcalc.
Or try r.univar and resample to +/- 1.5 stdev's from the mean or
whatever is appropriate.

Then use i.oif to see which combination of three bands show the most
information and try displaying different RGB combinations of those three
bands with d.rgb & see what looks good.

Hamish