[GRASSLIST:7647] Multi Linked SHP tables

Dave Sampson gis at watersheds.ca
Wed Jul 20 15:14:52 EDT 2005

Question concerning conveluted DBF links

In my environment I deal with a lot of data OTHERS have created.
Multiple sources use different formats. One format is a dump from a
database I assume (NRVIS data for those working with Ontario MNR datsets
in Canada). These datsets are dumped as ESRi shapes and DBF's represent
different tables and views in the database.

I have a dataset that uses native ESRI shp files that are linked to
multiple tables in the same AND/OR parent/child directories. I want to
import this data into GRASS without loosing tabular information and
identifying characteristics. For example the x.shp reads its normal link
to x.dbf, but then through an ID field it reads its name data from
xname.dbf. It reads other data from xother.dbf. All dbf's are linked
back to the original x.dbf, and geometry is x.shp.  As an example:
Without the links you have a name of a lake apearing as '45234' and its
type 12(eg lake), 14 (eg swamp), 54(eg bog) 99(fen). Or a landclass as
444 (urban), 222 (rural).

There are docs that explain what each DBF is, but the links exist
within the tables and there are many (hundreds) of permutations.

Questions:
1. Is there a way to import ALL the data associated with the shape file
into one dbf?
2. Can you keep the tables seprate and link them automaticaly in GRASS?
3. what is the best way to deal with this type of dataset.
4. how could POSTGIS be used, is this a possibility?

I have to love how easy government data is to work with (smile). Nothing
but the utmost in interoperability.

cheers
|Dave Sampson: Geographic Information System (GIS) Technician	|
|Centre for Sustainable Watersheds				|
|Cooperative Approaches to Protect Canada's Water Resources	|
|14 Water St, P.O Box 280. Portland Ontario, Canada. K0G 1V0	|
|Lat: 44.700	Long: -76.19					|
|www.watersheds.ca		gis at watersheds.ca		|