[GRASSLIST:7653] Re: R Stats and GRASS primer (wanted)

Brent Wood b.wood at niwa.co.nz
Wed Jul 20 18:19:33 EDT 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Dave Sampson wrote:

> Even before I can finish my current project I'm looking to the future.

Way to go! :-) I'd like to echo this request, as I'd like to upskill in
this area as well.

I'm providing GIS support to teams with several statisticians/modellers
who are R users. I'm not making much use of GRASS coz I haven't really
needed to, but (looking to the future :-) I'd like to be able to build up
expertise in GRASS (in addition to what I do now with PostGIS/QGIS/GMT)
with demonstrable links to R.

Personally I believe a well set up PostGIS/GRASS/R suite is
potentially about the most powerful analytical GIS around, and that
working towards such a system is therefore a very useful sxercise.
Throw mapserver/uDIG & others at this and you can even web enable it
without a huge effort. Throw QGIS & you have user friendly browsing &
a nice GRASS GUI.

While I have no immediate use, (but do have an immediate lack of skills
& time) I'd love to see a wiki or some easily accessible resource
providing information a sort of GRASS & R howto, so I could at least keep
in touch with this particular area....

> I would like to gather some resources on combining R stats and GRASS. I
> found tutorial from a while ago at
> http://reclus.nhh.no/gc00/gc009.htm
> not sure if all the commands are still relavent or if the datasets they
> use still exist. as its older version of GRASS and R
>
> I wouldn't mind if people submitted more samples of how they used R
> Stats and GRASS. If they are examples on spearfish data that is even
> better because we all have it.

Thanks Dave,

  Brent Wood