[GRASSLIST:7710] Raster Resolution (help requested)

Dave Sampson gis at watersheds.ca
Mon Jul 25 14:55:38 EDT 2005

Hey yall,

In the past I have worked mainly with RASTER layers in GRASS and they
just worked (some how). Now I am working alot with vectors in GRASS. For
instance I have a region that was created througha v.in.ogr. Now when I
bring in the coresponding raster maps they are verry blocky unless I
view them from a far out zoom. My region settings are

projection: 0 (x,y)
zone:       0
north:      44.86371257
south:      44.67956501
west:       -76.34802196
east:       -76.08834984
nsres:      0.00920738
ewres:      0.01298361
rows:       20
cols:       20

I created a DEM from contour lines (v.surf.rst) and the results are
undesireable due to the chopyness of the raster. for instance instead of
smooth DEM I have lakes that contain one or two raster cells. The same
area would contain MANY contour lines. Cheers

A quick explanantion of what I've done and how to increase the
resolution of the rasters in my project would be appreciated.

|Dave Sampson: Geographic Information System (GIS) Technician	|
|Centre for Sustainable Watersheds				|
|Cooperative Approaches to Protect Canada's Water Resources	|
|14 Water St, P.O Box 280. Portland Ontario, Canada. K0G 1V0	|
|Lat: 44.700	Long: -76.19					|
|www.watersheds.ca		gis at watersheds.ca		|