[GRASSLIST:6967] Re: please lookup this bugreport

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Jun 1 05:30:37 EDT 2005

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 07:24:29PM +0530, janabhaaratii at ncst.ernet.in wrote:

> Hi list,
>   I would request you to look up
>         http://www.intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3189&display=History
>   this is related to localization og GRASS to indic languages.
>
> thanks
> Swapnil Hajare
> janabhaaratii team

Hi,

actually I don't fully understand the problem. GRASS 6 is able to
render multibyte fonts also in the Tcl/TK GUI (from UTF-8
encoded .po files).

I have added an example here:
 http://grass.itc.it/devel/i18n.php
 -> Tcl/TK TTF Support (middle of the page)

Screenshot:
 http://grass.itc.it/images/grass6_chinese_zh.jpg

If it works for simple chinese, it should also do for other languages.
But maybe I am missing the point.

Let me propose the following: If you could translate a minimum
(a few messages) and send us the .po file, we can insert it into
GRASS and run some tests. Please indicate which locale/font packages
are needed.

Best regards

 Markus